Monday 22 June 2015

EBONYLADY; CELEBRATED C.E.O

 
On this first edition of the Celebrated CEO for the week on Labalaba NG we had a nice chat with our very own beautiful and vibrant lady Aletile Iretiayo. She is the young CEO of Ebonylady Beads.
In this interview, she discussed about her passion, challenges and how she became her own boss (among other things). Welcome on board Ireti and thanks for sharing your entrepreneurial story with us.

 Can we meet you?
 I am ALETILE IRETIAYO MODUPE but friends call me EBONYLADY BEADS. I attended OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, OGUN STATE where I studied Agricultural Economics. I am into Bead Making and Cocktails
Amazing, so when did you start?
I started way back at the university and gradually moved and expanded. Well…. I had always nurtured the idea of being my own boss and trust there is nothing as challenging and enjoyable as being your own boss. This idea was what pushed me in starting my own small business at the university. I have passion for fashion, and bead making for me is something I enjoy doing because it allows think outside the box. Creativity is an underlying factor in bead making; in fact in all businesses creativity is vital and key.
Yes I agree with you on that. You mentioned the idea of nurturing to be your own boss, what was the driver behind this?
Well…. I had always been introduced to entrepreneurial activities through my Mum. So I grew up with this idea of becoming my own boss. However, it is important to note that not everyone will be introduced to entrepreneurial activities through someone but for me I think it’s more about what you decide to do for yourself.
Huh….when you said, “what you decided to do for yourself” what do you mean?

Okay let me use myself as an example. I could have decided not to build on the idea of being my own boss despite the fact that I was exposed to it from childhood but I decided to. Laughing….. Anyways it’s more about what we want for ourselves as a person so let no one stop you from achieving whatever it is that you want to achieve because at the end of it all its about our personal dreams and aspirations.

Wow… thank you Iretiayo, that is so encouraging but let’s move a step further in discussing your venture. EbonyLady Beads. Where was the turning point for Ebonylady Beads?

Thank you... I would say the turning point for me was during my NYSC year. I acquired more knowledge in bead making and ventured into other things like cocktail. I would also say during this year I acquired more knowledge on what we call ‘Business Packaging’ and I think it is really important because that is what gives you edge over your numerous competitors. The first thing is being an expert in what you do and the second is organizing the business in such a way that puts your business ahead of competitors. Basically for me, I think NYSC was my turning point.
That’s so Amazing Ireti. So I should say every opportunity that comes our way should not be underestimated but rather exploited.

Yes … that’s very true. Any opportunity you have to learn something please grab it with both hands even if you are very good at what you do. No knowledge is a waste.
Now I know getting the initial capital could be difficult but how did you do it?
I got my first capital with the help of my brother but I think one important thing for aspiring entrepreneurs is to put themselves in a position where people can believe in what you do and trust in what you can do. I think that was one of the reasons I was able to get my first capital from him.
I am quite sure you were faced with some challenges at the start of your business can you share some?

My greatest challenge was getting my own customers considering the fact that we have a lot of people doing the same business. It was really challenging to win customers over to myself but I eventually did.
Laughing… so how did you win the heart of your customers?

Like I mentioned earlier, creativity is very important so I don’t do what we call ‘copy and paste’ rather I create my own styles and also created a standard for my own brand. I did not have to do a lot of advertisements because my styles were unique and beautiful and as you will imagine.
What is the X-factor for Ebonylady beads that makes you different from your competitors?

 I think the Xtra factor for Ebonylady beads is my creativity and I don’t make use of inferior materials for my work. I do my work in such a way that when you are coming back you are coming with a new customer and I think aspiring entrepreneurs should make this their watchword. Give out the best to get the best.
 Okay, but ireti tell us who your target customers are?

Men and Women either young or old. Every lady wants to look beautiful and every man want their loved ones to look stunning, everyone is our customer.
What impact has your enterprise had on you as a person and how has it shaped the way you think and live?
 Well…It has really helped me in my relationship with people and I’ve learnt how to be very patient. I’ve also learnt how to take risk and follow my dream and this has built my confidence over time..
Regarding your enterprise can you please share with us what are your futures plans are?

 I hope to go for further training on Jewelry making (Chains, Wire e.t.c.) and to have my own training school someday.
What is your favorite quote?

“A Life without a purpose is like a car without an engine.”
Powerful words Ireti, so when you are not working what other things do you do?

I either watch movies or read Christian/inspirational books.
If there's one place you did like to visit where would that be?

I will love to visit India someday
 Wao…I also hope to visit India someday; maybe we can take a trip together.

Sure we can!
What is your best food?

 I love Fried/boiled plantain and egg
Iretiayo on a final note what advice would you give to aspiring entrepreneurs?

You are never too old to follow your dreams. Never give up on your dreams
Thank you so much Iretiayo for sharing your story with us and we wish you the very best in your endeavor. Cheers!!!
You can follow the celebrated CEO for this week on Instagram @EBONYLADYHERAYTEEHAYOR and on Facebook; IRETIAYO EBONYLADY ALETILE.




1 comment:

  1. now this something huge, i feel like doing Nysc again prolly i can learn beads too...lol...this is very nice and her designs are lovely, i love d fact that she is not afraid to take risk too, nice one and mr labalabang this is a nice concept, keep it up
    jibbyks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete