Monday 17 August 2015

Meet Yinka The Lady Talking Drummer And A Graphics Director.





 Good day readers, and I am excited again to bring to  you another edition of Celebrated CEO,
if fortunately this is your first time on this blog or the column, we welcome you to an exciting ride. Today I have with me a multi-talented lady of great personality and with a great mind of ideas, let us swing into the unveiling.

Her name is Opasanya Ekemena Adeyinka, ‘Yinka’ for a short, she is a graphic artist and also into web designing, branding and concept development. She is the graphics director at Brand Et Al Multimedia Limited, Nigeria, a company she started in 2012.

It may interest you that this half Isoko/Delta and half Yoruba/Ogun lady plays the talking drum, she is a graduate of Anatomy from the prestigious Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye.
Let us hear it from the horse’s mouth.

Good day Yinka, how did it all start, a graduate of anatomy doing graphics and web designing?
It started in school; there was an initial interest in computers, but not graphics because I always thought I wasn't artistic. But I have this thing for fonts, alignment, publicity, making a statement, organizing events.
I met someone (Seun Sofowora), who is into graphics. However, at that time, my church wanted to make posters and I felt since the guy told me the software he uses, so, I designed "something", but, now all i can do is imagine what it could have possibly looked like because when i took it to my friend for printing, he looked at it and discouraged me with his laugh.
He came up with another design and we did the printing.
I got challenged. I went home and started 'living' in Corel. I had a tutor at the time, but because I couldn't pay, my tutor expelled me (laughs). I prayed and asked the Holy Spirit for help and He did help me because I remember nights after nights I would be taught in dreams and i would wake up to do what i have been taught (smile).
Afterwards, i went to Abinibi Creative Academy for advanced graphics design training.

What kind of business are you into;
I am into Branding, Concept Development, Web and Graphics design. 

Can it be learned or it got to be a gift?
Though, i have seen over time that creativity is pertinent, else one will just be using the software without doing graphics. A lot of people use Corel, but it’s something else. You have to be weird in thought, stick to weirder ones, see videos, go out for inspiration, download stuff and be inspired, so I will say It can be learned even to sharpen the gift or go to learn if there is interest.
Originality is also important.

For how long have you been doing graphics design?
About 6/7 years now.

What inspires your graphics aside the customer’s request?
Good music, images, people, love, friendship, weird things, movies, fun places, words, paintings, other people's work, weather, good movies, conversations etc 

Your role models
I like a lot of people in this field for varying reasons: Abinibi, Shutterstock (those guys are massively creative), Ayomidotun (his copywriting and suspense; very cool), Orange Academy, O2, X2M, Timi, Slyas etc

What are you up to at the moment, and what is up for the future?
Right now, I am personally learning and diversifying into different aspect of designing. Motion, web and mobile applications are very interesting. Tasking and challenging but very cool! Adobe is cool, makes you want to burst your 'brains' with more knowledge...in a manner of speaking.

Current challenges;
Well, the major challenge now is Power.
Finance is also a challenge.


I am also aware you play the talking drum (gangan), tell us about that aspect of you;

I actually stumbled on it. I started with the drum set, but guys were all over the drum set and I barely got to play, I went to visit my Uncle who asked if i was still playing drums and encouraged me to get a talking drum. He gave me his own for a week and I could play instantly, just rhythm though not like i could talk or say proverbs. I'd go to church with the drum and play alongside the drum set. The church bought one and that was the beginning. 
Opasanya Adeyinka


Is it a family thing, like the family that plays drum?
My dad plays the konga well. My uncle, Gbenga Opasanya, plays every percussion. My cousins too play different percussions.

Oh, I guess the  ‘OPA’ (stick)  from the Opasanya is for the drum sticks.
So Where do u play, at shows, concerts, or where?
I play constantly in my church, every Sunday. I play where I am invited to play.

Where do you see yourself in years to come?
I see myself yielding all the more to God and the working of Christ in me. 
I see Brand Et Al Multimedia Limited at a more stable level, delivering better quality branding, advertising, concept, designs, print jobs and web designs.
I see us more diversified with a wow standing in animation, film editing and music production and TV media if we haven't started. In few years, I hope Brand Et Al is a mega-graphics outfit both home and abroad, delivering quality and soundness everywhere.


Your words on the marble.
The mind is a very powerful tool. It can learn anything but each mind requires different timing and different methods. Don't give up because your mind needs longer time or a method different from what is generally obtainable. Keep at it, you can get better at it.
 
Made By; Brand Et Al
You  may contact Adeyinka (Brand et Al multimedia) on;
Click Facebook
Twitter handle: @opasadeyinka
Email: opasanyaadeyinka@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment