Monday 20 July 2015

PRAY FOR ME; A MESSAGE FROM DAREY



Source: Xclusive.com
I stumbled on this song and the lyrics got me stuck, trust me, I put the song on a replay mode, it’s the song of Darey “Pray for me, Gbadura fun mi” featuring the SOWETO gospel choir, though it sounds like Darey doing a revised version of Timi Dakolo’s “WISH ME WELL” but this song made me ask a different question and got me inspired ahead.

Darey “Pray for me, Gbadura fun mi” Feat. The SOWETO gospel choir
Verse 1                                                                                                                                               
Woke up one Sunday morning
told my daddy I’m leaving home
I’m going off to the city tomorrow
even though I don’t know where to go
daddy said “son, don’t be a fool
cos life in the city is unbelievable
you could get broken oh!! You’re just a little boy
and you may never find your way”.
And I said
I know I could get lost….
I know I could get broken….
forgive me father but I got to take a chance
and I’m already gone so just.

Pray for me…..

Verse 2
hello daddy. how’re you doing?
hope mama’s doing ok
it’s been four years and eleven months now
mo gbo pe Aduke ti dagba
olorun
it was true what you said to me,
life in the city is unbelievable,
had to struggle just to get by every day,
and I could barely find my way
………
Source: AZ LYRICS
 
At some points in life, (mostly from the adolescent stage) a young child will want to show some signs to the parents that he or she has come of age and want to do things his or her own ways and want to show the older generations that they can do certain things and even do it better, they believe they got all it takes to achieve with or without the older generation’s support and even achieve more and better, the English has a word for this attitude “youthful exuberance”, on the part of the younger ones, they want  to demonstrate a  kind of power from the moon and want to be seen like the adventure of a super hero. They feel boundaries around them and want to be so free and independent, they want to get out these boxes and chase their desires and dreams. 

On the other hand, the older folks want to cut their wings and show them that; “where you are I was also there, and if you think I am of lesser importance in the matters that matter in your life, you must be kidding”, they believe even “if I don’t know the latest or trending songs or the styles of gown en-vogue, I still have some experience you cannot buy in any mall or get on the street of the city, so listen to my words and do it my way”. The story of the prodigal son is the common story parents tell to children they think are portraying this attitude. 

Some parents stick to the “I know what is best for you” principle whereby choosing the course or field of study for the lads, from undergraduate days even to the post graduate courses or tell them “that lady isn’t good for you” or “Its MBA or nothing”
This, in most times causes some rivalry and if not managed well or depending on the parents and children or the age of the children, it could lead to the extent whereby some parents threaten their lads of driving them out if they want to be independent and get their own apartments, or some children running away from home and causing so much heart break to either or both parties in the long run, some stories end up sweet and great while some aren’t good to the ears to tell.

Parent should learn to be in the world of their children, try to see things thoroughly and deeply in the way these children sees it, try to understand them, understand their point of views, and carefully advise accordingly, many parents don’t want to hear what they have to say, no excuses, no reason can convince them, this kind of attitude will only drive these children more arrogant and crave for freedom and they wouldn’t mind you tagging them rebels and  they begin to read books like that of Nelson Mandela ‘Long walk to Freedom’ or quotes from Rosa Park or singing passionately Bob Marley “Redemption song”.

So, at what age should parents leave their children to start making their own desired choices and to what extent should they interfere if they have to, and to the children, how much of freedom do they need? They say, “Unguided freedom may cause a permanent slavery”
Source: 360nobs.com

Another hustler’s anthem, “PRAY FOR ME” by Darey, good work.
Drop your sincere comments and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment